A Special Message from Todd
Dear Friends and Family,
First off I want to say how much we appreciate every kind word, gesture, and gift that you have given to Norma and our family throughout this very difficult and trying ordeal. And I want to encourage you to keep them coming! Especially things I can eat and cards that make us laugh! But since Christmas time is here and there may be some who want to give Norma a gift, there is one issue I want to clarify for everyone who reads this. And that is the Pink Ribbon.
It might be hard to understand what I am about to say about the Pink Ribbon if you have only viewed one facet of it. On one side, to those who are not in the middle of battling cancer, the Pink Ribbon is a symbol to raise awareness of the need for constant vigilence against breast cancer, and to raise money for research to one day find a cure. All very commendable!
But when you find yourself on this side, the individual and family going through the trial of a lifetime, surgery, pain, sickness, disruption of your life and altered future, Pink Ribbons and gifts they are attached to become an in-your-face reminder of the tragic disease that has attacked your body and brought chaos to your life. It also is a reminder that a cure was not found in time for you. So from where Norma is today, Pink Ribbons are not at all comforting or encouraging.
So please understand that we are not being unappreciative of anything you have done or given. She knows that every kind gesture towards her and our family was done in the purest of motives. While this didn't bother us as bad at first, the longer we're on this journey, the harder it gets. We just want you to see this from Norma's perspective and if you choose to share gifts, please avoid Pink Ribbon themed items. Instead make it something that she likes or represents family, faith, peace - the things that are enduring and important. Not cancer.
She doesn't want anyone's feelings to be hurt and it is hard for her to say anything, so I will. But I have confidence that you all will understand.
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Todd
Very well said! Only those who have been down this road really understand, and the rest need to be told. I believe you said in a way that should not hurt anyones feelings.
Mike
Todd:
Everyone responds differently to a situation, and you shouldn't feel bad or apologize for expressing how you and Norma feel. Personally, I would much rather know up front, than try to assume something and buy/bring something someone didn't want. Love you "guys"!!
-Rachel
What about a Pink and Purple Polka Dotted one? It goes something like this "I'm dreaming of a pink and purple polka dotted Christmas, With every Easter card I Write." He! He! A mischievious reconstruction of the original White Christmas that I remember as a kid.
On a serious note, everyone should totally understand and respect your wishes. I do! :0)
A Very Merry Christmas to Ya!
Post a Comment