Monday, November 3, 2008

Season of Change


Happy Monday!

Today as I was getting ready for my PT appointment, I was listening to the weather forecast on the radio. B-YOO-TI-FUL weather in store! Ahhh....Fall!

As I mentioned on my last blog, my hair is beginning to come out and today was no exception. I had a handful after combing this morning. I can't say I'm totally prepared for it.....how do you prepare yourself for something you've never experienced? I have my wigs, yes, but just not sure about seeing myself with a bald head. But, it's only temporary. I'm sure I'll cry about it, then get over it just like I've done with most of what has happened up 'til now.

This morning as I was driving (yes, I drove myself! Progress!) I decided to take a back road and I was so glad I did. The East Texas trees are starting to turn beautiful shades of yellow, orange and red and it was just breathtaking! The leaves are the most beautiful part of the tree and are often how we identify its type. Then I thought about the fact that this means the leaves are actually dying and will soon blanket the ground, leaving the tree barren and spindly.

But the neat thing about this is, now the tree can focus on growing deeper roots to sustain itself. It may look dormant on the outside, but underground through the Winter, it is searching for more to sustain the extra growth that will come with Spring.

It reminded me of the journey I am on - the chemo is taking its toll on my body, soon I will lose my hair and other side effects will probably manifest. It is so important that I use this "Winter" time to dig a little deeper into my Lifesource. Yes, part of my identity will be gone....for a season...but my hair is not WHO I am. It is my desire to be a stronger Christian when this journey has ended. I can only do that by rooting myself deeper in my Creator.

As I pondered these thoughts, I felt Him speak to my heart, "Fall and Winter aren't forever, Spring is on the way". It will be close to Spring when all my treatments are over, if all goes well. With 5 more chemo treatments left, I know there will be some days I feel quite barren; but I know those times can make me stronger when Spring comes in my life!

Proverbs 12:3b - "...the root of the righteous shall not be moved."
-
I like how The Message translates 2 Corinthians 4:16-18: So we're not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us. There's far more here than meets the eye. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can't see now will last forever.




8 comments:

Shelley said...

When my mom was going through chemo, people would always ask her about loosing her hair. She always said it is just hair. It will grow back.
Glad you are doing so well with your treatments.

Anonymous said...

My daddy has always said, Even when it's storming, the sun is shinning somewhere.
And sister, you are so bright inside.
Praise God!
Love,
Darla

Anonymous said...

Your blog up dates are becoming part of my time in the morning with God. He has given you so many gifts, and I thank you for taking the time to share with us. The strength and joy that He has placed in you helps me through hard times. Please know that in your walk on this road, you are teaching us how to truly trust Him with EVERYTHING. May God catch every tear, and sing over you as you laugh. You are a blessing.
Prayers always,
Tandee

Anonymous said...

awesome!

Anonymous said...

Sis. Norma,

That is such an awesome attitude. God is so amazing and His splendor is so beautiful - not just the color of the leaves this fall, but you. Bro. Steve preached last night that we have the authority to change the names of things that come against us in life. He started to sing that song that says "If anybody asks you who I am, who I am, who I am - tell them I'm a child of God." Well, my sister, you are and I know God is looking at you and saying, Behold, my child, Norma Lawson. :0)

Vickie and my mother wrote a poem when she was going through her dialysis and transplant. God always gives you insight - right when you need it. It is amazing how He strengthens and comforts His children.

Love ya,
Martha

Anonymous said...

Wow what a message of hope and faith.Psalms 30;5b weeping may endure for the night but joy comes in the morning. Your morning will come my friend. God bless you as you bless me with God's grace.
Pat

Karen Prince said...

I SO admire you and the way you choose to have a happy heart.:)
This was a beautiful post!

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! This was relaly awesome!
Val