Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Blue, Blue, my....ARM is blue?

Howdy!

Well, it's been an eventful day! As you know, I had a PICC line put in 2 weeks ago and all was well until Sunday morning when I woke up and noticed my arm was blue. It hurt some and I just figured I'd slept on it wrong...either that or I was turning into a Smurf! The color returned and it seemed fine unless I kept it in a certain position, so I just was careful and decided I would tell the nurses today when I went in to get the PICC line flushed. Well! Imagine my surprise when they immediately called the doctor and he arranged for me to have an ultrasound to see if I had a blood clot!

Long story short....I do. I think the word was "clotting" and what I saw on the screen was more than one, and it was around the PICC line site. So I had to get a shot today, and I will get one the next 2 days, and they put me on rat poision - Coumadin. Prayerfully, the shots will work, the clots will not move and will dissolve, no more will appear and I can keep the PICC line until my chemo is done. One other really irritating (literally!) thing is I have a tape allergy and even though they are using the kind for sensitive skin, it is still driving me nuts!

I left the house about 10 this morning thinking I would be back home in a few hours, but it was 6:00 before I finally drug in the house. Todd had supper cooked, we ate and I hit the recliner hasty-posty! He has been such a wonderful husband and caregiver!

Sometimes the spouse gets forgotten in all the hullabaloo surrounding the patient, so I ask you to remember him in your prayers also. When we said our vows almost 20 years ago, we hoped the "in sickness" wouldn't happen. A lot has happened in 20 years, way more good than bad, and I am so thankful to have such a wonderful husband by my side whatever life brings. While my life as I knew it pretty much came to a screeching halt, his has continued on as before with the added burden of my health issues. He never complains and doesn't know I'm typing this, but I ask you to pray for God to strengthen him.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i saw him Sunday and i said a prayer for him. He didn't look like he usually does. So you both are in my prayer! I love you Norma!
Val

Karen Prince said...

I will be praying specifically for the blood clots to disappear. We can't have you being blue!
You have a wonderful family....praying for you all.
Hope your week gets lots better.:)

Rachel said...

Awwww...I think you'd make a cute Smurfette! HEEHEE! Love and miss ya!

Anonymous said...

Hi Norma,
I went to the Tyler Cancer Center and I couldn't use the tape of any kind on me. They used one of those strechy cloths. That allowed me to keep my skin on because tape was terrible.
I am praying for your arm and blood clots. I am also praying for all your family for strength. We do not go through cancer by ourself all of our family members are touched by it.
Pat

steph_kris said...

The next time your arm turns blue, Smurfette, I think you should call the doctor. Immediately! (I'm giving you my teacher stare.)

Ahem...with that said, I am glad they caught it. Take care of yourself, and I am praying for you AND your family! Much love.

Anonymous said...

Hey mama smurf! this is sista smurf in okie!
Pat is right about the stretchy gauze type stuff they can use...if they WILL! it is more expensive for them to use it so you have to ask for it. May want to find out the correct name so you won't sound like you don't know what you are talking about like us. We just call it stretchy stuff lol.I think everyone is praying for Todd and Zach both girlfriend;) so be assured you are not a burden on them. There are changes in your life but that will never effect the love between you guys...makes it alot stronger because Todd is loving you with that caring love instead of the touch love. Omar knows all about that! Love knows no end! Ever heard that? well when you are ill you find out what the meaning of that really means because you see your family live it.Ok I guess I will stop now I'm not sure how much this (thingy)lol will let you write. I love you Norma ;)

Anonymous said...

:0) Well, I know your husband is an awesome one. He knew you were exhausted on Wednesday night so he was trying to get you to leave. LOL! I hope we didn't keep you too long chatting. :0)

Thank you so much for interpreting through it all. I know all the Deaf appreciated it. :0) We now know we need a third interpreter. Just to help out when something happens with you and Troy. Val has done a great job helping out. :0)

Praying for your whole family.

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Even though I haven't been writing, I've been reading......
It seems that some of the pot holes on this journey have been a little bigger than others, I'm sorry, but you are blessed by wonderful family & friends to help carry you over and/or through them. Please know you are a blessing and a great example of the faithful servant and the even more faithful Lord. You and your husband and son are in our prayers. God made a perfect match with you and your husband.
Love and prayers,
Tandee