Saturday, May 9, 2009

I DID IT!!!

Yes! I walked the WHOLE MILE for the Komen Race! WOOO HOOOO! This is quite an accomplishment for me considering what the Taxotere did to my leg muscles. But thanks to PT and me pushing myself....I completed the one mile walk with some very dear friends!


What? You wanna see pictures? Well, okay, if you insist!


Here's me with my survivor shirt and hat, a tiara, pink lei, giant pink sunglasses, pink fuzzy sceptor.... and of course, my pink wig. There were others with pink boas, tiaras, etc...but I was the only one with a pink wig. It was hot, so I decided to braid it. hee hee!

Here is Team Norma: Holli, me, Tina B and Krista. (not pictured: Tina D and Alex) Girls, I simply cannot tell you how MUCH this meant to me!!


Here is my friend MeShelle who ran the 5K with a sign on her back that said "I race in celebration of Norma Lawson". I met her at the finish line with a hug! Thank you so much MeShelle!





Here is me with my sweet friend, Dena:

This is me and my new friend and fellow cancer survivor, DeLeith. She and I just recently met, but she has been such a support for me since August through the phone and email! (notice she has a tiara too! It was her idea, and I just couldn't let her be the only one!)


This is the survivor photo. I'm not sure how many ladies are there, but I'm the 4th one from the left sitting down in front.....just look for the pink hair.


Here's me chatting with some new friends while we were waiting and waiting F O R E V E R for them to take the pictures:



These are my back signs: In Celebration of Ruth W (my sister in law), Sandy G, Debbie P, Jolene L, DeLeith G and Rosemary J. (all friends) In Memory of: Momma, Aunt Charlene, and Linda S (my cousin). On the front one it said the same thing, and I also added: "In Glory to Jesus!"



Also on the front was a heart that had "Todd and Zachary" in it. My guys were there....somehow I missed getting their picture. I heard the term "co-survivors" today, and this describes them. They have walked this journey with me and I am so thankful for their love and care. I couldn't have made it this far without them.


For more pictures of the race, check out http://www.tylerpaper.com/ and click on "Spotted" and/or "Komen Race". There were over 5,000 registered for the race - this doesn't even count friends and family! wow!


Yesterday, Teresa and I went to the mall to find all my goodies. She decided to try some sunglasses on: (Looking lovely, Dahlin!)

I decided against those glasses....it felt like I was looking out venetian blinds!
-
What a wonderful day! Once again, to all of you who were there and to all who woulda if ya coulda.....THANK YOU!!! Your support is such a blessing to me. I couldn't do this without my precious family and friends! Thank you also to all who contributed in some way to the Komen Foundation - whether you walked or ran (Sarah D, Macy and Lauren, my TJC friends) or gave money in support of the cause.
-
And last....but certainly not least....part of the reason for the Komen Race is to raise awareness. No one is more aware than me, so I don't need any more pink ribbons....but PLEASE PLEASE ladies, and men tell the ladies in your life....GET CHECKED! It's never too early! I saw several very young ladies in pink survivor shirts. (One lady thought I was much younger due to my pink wig! hee hee) The motto is "I AM the cure!" Be proactive!
-
That's all, folks! Going to de-pink now.....

6 comments:

Sheron White said...

I'm so proud of you! You did great and you look so cute, too. I think your inner clown is showing. I love you so much little sis!!!

BethAnne said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I am soo soo proud and happy for you... You have always been one of those "cherished" women in my life!!!! I am so glad that this temporary journey of yours is coming to its end... I love you!!!!

steph_kris said...

Norma, you are amazing and I am so happy you were able to accomplish this. You've always been an inspiration to me, but never more than you are now. I love you so much!

Karen Prince said...

You Go Girl!!!

Madison S. said...

Norma, Thank you so much for adding Linda's name to your sign! Mothers day weekend is hard but this brought joyful tears to my eyes! I am so glad you are doing so well! we continue to pray for your continued strength!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you!! i'm glad you were able to see what an awesome, positive experience it is. the Komen race has been near and dear to our hearts for years - it has always been our tradition to participate in honor/memory of my mother ("Mom" to everyone). this is the first year we didn't make it a large family get-together with out-of-town family. last year we had a blast decorating a port-a-potty. macy and lauren (along with meshelle) "raced" in memory of mom this year! so proud of you!!!
love & hugs! dianne adams